Recently, I was trying to install drivers for my new digital camera, but I had a few problems. The installer requested the Windows XP SP 2 CD because a driver file, usbscan.sys was missing. I had actually lost the XP SP2 CD. The installer requested the XP SP 2 CD repeatedly that I had to do something, else the installation would fail.
Finally, I found a few solutions to recover usbscan.sys and I wanted to write them down here for others who might be facing the same problem while installing drivers for devices like Printers, Digital Cameras, etc. when connected via USB.
Here’s what you should do first:
- Click â€˜Browse’ in the dialog window that requests the CD Go to C:\Windows\system32 and point to the usbscan.sys file
- The installation should take place seamlessly now
In case you’re unable to find the usbscan.sys file, don’t worry. There are two other options.
Here’s what you should do in case you don’t have the Windows XP Service Pack 2 CD
- Download a copy of usbscan.sys from here (Right click and select â€˜Save Target As’).
- Click â€˜Browse’ in the dialog window of the installer and locate the usbscan.sys file you’ve just downloaded.
- Click â€˜OK’.
- The installation should proceed.
If you’re lucky, and have the XP SP 2 or SP 1 CD with you, here’s what you can do:
- Insert the CD in the drive.
- Go to Start >> Run and type msconfig and press Enter.
- Click â€˜Expand File’ in the Window that appears
- In the â€˜File to Restore’ field, type in usbscan.sys
- In the next field, type X:\I386\DRIVER.CAB
- In the â€˜Save File In’ field, click the â€˜Browse To’ button and select a location for the usbscan.sys file to be stored, preferably the Desktop
- Click Expand and close the window. You should see the usbscan.sys file in your Desktop.
- Go back to the installer and locate the usbscan.sys file by using the Browse button, and click OK.
- The installation should now continue.
Those were just three easy and quick ways to restore your missing usbscan.sys driver file. The usbscan.sys is an important driver file that is required for installation of devices like the Printer, Camera, etc.